Clear Writing Course
Anyone can write crisply. Right?
Sure, anyone who’s mastered English grammar and vocab can string a few sentences together, but it takes much more than that to write clearly and effectively.
Good writing helps readers to get the information they need, quickly and easily. Good writing helps persuade busy people to read your text and act on it, rather than just bin it. And good writing is a marketable skill and a key selling point for translators and editors.
The eCPD Clear Writing course with its lively 3-webinar format gives you:
- a framework for clear writing – what it is and what it is not
- a business case to help sell this skill to potential clients
- 17 easy-to-apply practical techniques for improving your writing, illustrated with worked examples
- a handful of software tools to make the job easier
- a bundle of links and references to useful articles
- an optional exercise to put into practice what you’ve learned.
The course is now in its 6th season. Check out the feedback to see how previous attendees enjoyed and benefitted from it.
Catch you next time!
Outline of Edition 6 of the Clear Writing Course
The guiding principles and objectives of clear writing:
- What clear writing is and what it is not,
- Having the courage to depart from literal renderings to capture the meaning and message.
Clear-writing techniques I, with specific examples:
- Sentence surgery: improving dodgy sentences.
Clear-writing techniques II, with specific examples:
- A discussion of the Oxford comma.
Some practical issues in applying clear-writing principles and techniques to real texts.
More worked examples
Keeping your texts free of cliché, jargon, “Banned List” phrases, etc., and testing for ambiguity using ApSIC Xbench.
After the clear writing course:
Included in the £100 fee for the 3-part course
- Resource list
- Attendance certificate
- Copy of the lesson materials
All webinars are recorded: if you miss the live session, you will be able to view the recording later.
CIOL membership discount: 10% (the code is available on the membership page)
21, 25 and 30 October 2019
10:30 am to 11:30 am UK time
3 one-hour sessions.
100 GBP; additional cost of £15 (optional) for a reviewed exercise (in English) OR feedback on one of your own real 500-word into-English translations.
All eCPD Webinars are officially accredited by the CIOL. Further, the webinar earns three hours of CPD (ATA: three points) which you can use to keep a record of your CPD. Webinars and courses with eCPD Webinars are also officially accredited by the Bureau Wbtv as ‘erkende opleiding’ (approved training).
Who should watch it?
Translators and writers in the English language. Most attendees will be native speakers of English (any locale). But non-native English writers are also welcome to join.
What are the benefits to you?
This webinar will give you the skills and tools to help you write clear, unambiguous English and produce a better result for your translation clients.