Learn Your Legal Terms in English, French, and Spanish for the North American legal system
eCPD and Suzanne Deliscar proudly present this exciting series of webinars on English, French and Spanish terminology used in North American legal systems
Already in the US? Or do you want to broaden your client base? Why not translate for the USA and Canada?
During this 10 part practical series, participants will learn English, French, and Spanish terms for a variety of legal terms, enabling them to complete a comprehensive glossary. The workshop will be interactive, including tests and polls throughout to encourage participant engagement.
Finally, all participants will be provided with the opportunity to complete a French/Spanish>English legal translation sample, which will then be marked offline by the instructor, Suzanne Deliscar, a Canadian lawyer-linguist.
Please note that the terminology discussed in this course would be terms used in the North American context.
You can join us for just one of these lessons, or for all ten – it’s up to you. Each part costs £25, but you get a 20% discount when you purchase more than five. You will see the discount rates when you add this item to your cart.
These are the seven* webinars. They all take place at 6:00 pm and will last for approximately ninety minutes:
1. Family Law Terminology: 6 September 2019
2. Wills and Estates Terminology: 24 September 2019
3. Trademarks Terminology: 4 October 2019
4. Copyright Terminology: 18 October 2019
5. Public International Law Terminology: 1 November 2019
6. Civil Litigation Terminology: 15 November 2019
7. Privacy and Confidential Information Terminology: 29 November 2019
How to book
To book, select the price from the options you will see when you “add to cart”. Select the correct price for the number of webinars you wish to attend. After payment on our secure payment gateway, you will be returned to our website where you can register for the webinars you want. This step is important. If for some reason you are not returned to us, please write to us at eCPD at ciol.org.uk.
You will receive an automated receipt and will be invited to register for your chosen webinars. Again, this part is important.
*These seven formed a part of a 10-webinar series earlier this year, the three remaining webinars will be made available as videos on demand once the series runs its course.
All webinars are recorded: if you miss the live session, you will be able to view the recording later.
- Each part costs £25, but you get a 20% discount when you purchase more than five. You will see the discount rates when you add this item to your cart.
- CIOL membership discount: 10% (the code is available on the membership page)
Please note you may apply only one discount to each purchase. You will need to evaluate which discount is better for you at the time.
Ms. Deliscar (née White) was called to the Ontario Bar in 2004. As principal of Deliscar Professional Corporation, she focuses on matters involving both legal and language issues. Her practice was created through the combination of her language skills in French and Spanish and the practice of law in a variety of areas, including civil litigation, wills & estates, and family law.
Ms. Deliscar has extensive experience in the translation of a variety of legal documents. She has extensive experience in the translation of official documents, and has reviewed, analyzed and abstracted over 500 Spanish language contracts for a large multinational corporation. Ms. Deliscar is also experienced in providing document review in French.
6, 24 September; 4, 18 October; 1, 15, 29 November 2019
6:00 – 7:30 pm UK time. Click here to see the time where you live.
Each webinar will last approximately 90 minutes plus Q&A.
Each webinar earns one hour of CPD (ATA approved for one point). Our webinars and courses are accredited by the CIOL and by the Dutch Bureau Wbtv as ‘erkende opleiding’ (approved training). ITI members may also log these webinars as CPD hours. The same is true of most other professional institutes.
Who should watch it?
- Those who are working/interested in working in North American legal systems.
- Legal translators and lawyer-linguists who want to start working in the legal translation field, as well as those who have recently started and wish to receive feedback on their current French-English translation skills.
- Lawyers who want to learn or refresh their Spanish-French-English legal terminology skill sets.
What are the benefits to you?
During this series, participants will learn the English, French, and Spanish terms for a variety of legal terms, enabling them to complete a comprehensive glossary and giving them skills to win North American clients in legal domain.