The second edition of this great course starts in June 2018. Sign up early to avoid disappointment!
Have you ever seen a colleague whip out their tablet on assignment and wondered: How could a tablet possibly be useful while interpreting?
Join two tablet-savvy interpreters, gain answers to that question and many more, and up your tablet game through five interactive online lessons and an optional one-on-one tablet clinic.
What you will get out of this course:
- Five hour-long lessons covering every aspect of tablet interpreting
- Practical advice to use your tablet for preparation, consecutive and simultaneous interpreting
- Recordings of every session so you can hone your skills
- Dozens of slides containing detailed tips
- A wealth of apps and tools to make the most of your tablet
- Five hours of CPD credit (recognized by ITI, CIOL, ATA and others)
- An optional one-on-one tablet clinic with Josh and Alex to fine-tune your tablet skills
Cost: £150 (course only) and £180 (course with a one-on-one tutorial with Josh or Alex)
“It opened my horizons to new innovating things and ideas .”
“I’d been waiting for such a course for a long time . Just right”
” I loved the document annotation and term management solutions they presented.”
(Some reaction after the first edition of this course).
Dates: June 7, 14, 21, 28 and July 5 at 18:00 UK time (19:00 CET)
Students: £75 for the course. Please send an email to lucinda(AT)ecpdwebinars.co.uk to purchase the course.
Who should take part?
Interpreters of all types who want to use a tablet for their work
What are the benefits of enrolling?
Explore how to use your tablet in any interpreting context.
Learn tips and tools from experienced tablet interpreters, and streamline your interpreting practice.
The webinar earns one hour of CPD (ATA approved for one point). Our webinars and courses are officially accredited by the CIOL). Courses with eCPD Webinars are officially accredited by the Bureau Wbtv as ‘erkende opleiding’ (approved training).
Lesson 1: The ins and outs of tablet interpreting
The first webinar in this series is designed to get to know our tablets and cover the basics of tablet interpreting. Dive in and explore the following:
- What kind of tablet is right for me?
- Can I use the tablet I have now for interpreting?
- What are the pros and cons of tablet interpreting?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of different platforms?
- What does research say about tablet interpreting?
- What’s stopping us from using our tablets for interpreting?
- How do I set up my tablet to work with multiple languages?
- What other tips and tricks will help me make the most of my tablet?
Lesson 2: Preparation made simple
Preparing for an assignment is essential. Join us and learn how a tablet can make preparation fast and easy – from gathering documents to researching for an assignment, fine-tuning your terminology to getting ready for the big day.
- What are the best applications for preparing for an assignment?
- How do you organize documents on your tablet (and elsewhere)?
- What are the best tools and strategies for managing terminology?
- How can you use your tablet to save time while preparing?
- Can you really go paperless?
Lesson 3: Using tablets for consecutive interpreting
Tablets offer a wide range of benefits in consecutive interpreting – from referencing documents to full-on consecutive with tablet and stylus.
- What are the benefits of using a tablet for consecutive?
- Is a tablet better than pen and paper?
- What are the best styluses for my tablet?
- What applications work best for taking notes on a tablet?
- What will clients say about using a tablet for consecutive?
- What about the SmartPen and other hybrid solutions?
Lesson 4: Tablets in the booth
Tablets’ small footprints make them ideal boothmates in mobile booths. But there are many other benefits of bringing devices into the booth. Join us and explore some of the following questions:
- Why might a tablet be better than a laptop in the booth?
- What applications work best in the heat of the moment?
- How can I look up terminology from my tablet?
- How can I use my tablet to communicate and collaborate with the rest of the team?
- How can I work with a speech on my tablet?
- What if I want to take notes on my tablet while in the booth?
- What should I do when the speaker hands me a USB drive?
Lesson 5: Apps and accessories galore
Our final session covers all the apps and accessories you never knew you needed: from language apps to productivity tools to apps that will keep you and your clients’ confidential data safe.
- What accessories are most useful for my tablet?
- How can I use my tablet to send invoices and log jobs?
- How do I maintain confidentiality when using my tablet?
- What about privacy and data protection?
- What if I just want to relax using my tablet?
- How do I keep up to date with tablet technology?
Optional one-on-one tablet clinic
This 30-to-45-minute one-on-one session with Josh or Alex will help you make the most of your tablet and discuss any questions you may have, fine-tuning your skills to embark on your new tablet interpreting journey.