Medicine for medical translators 4 – Renal system
We are excited to present a great series of videos explaining medicine for medical translators, and for translators wishing to enter the field.
Each video includes a summary of the language used to describe and discuss the anatomy, the physiology, the pathology, and the diagnosis and therapy of each system. Further, each video includes a disambiguation of key terms relating to every section, as well as key concepts in that field. We show some examples below. When we mention specific concepts (e.g, “bronchiectasis”) or body parts (e.g., “stapes”) we address the corresponding translation challenges.
This video on the renal system is divided into four parts:
- Anatomy: urinary bladder vs gallbladder; prostate; kidney cortex and medulla; adrenal glands; the nephron; renal vs kidney vs the nephr- prefix.
- Physiology: electrolyte homeostasis vs acid-base balance; clearance vs depuration; creatinine clearance; regulation of fluid balance and blood pressure; PSA.
- Pathology: nephritic syndrome vs nephrotic syndrome; renal insufficiency vs renal failure; prostate enlargement vs benign prostatic hyperplasia; organ/disease metonymy.
- Diagnosis and therapy: antegrade pyelogram, renal CT scan, cystography, cystometry, urine culture, urinalysis.
This is one of a series of eight. We offer a 15% discount if you purchase all eight in one transaction. Just type medtrfull into the checkout before making payment. Remember to allow the system to come back to our website to register your purchase. You will then have access to all the videos from the “purchases” section of your profile.
You can find the remaining videos of the series under the following links:
8. The senses
If you want to know more, we invite you to watch the video of the introductory webinar Pablo, explaining exactly what he will cover. It lasts around an hour but feel free to fast forward.
- This is one of a series of eight. We offer a 15% discount if you purchase all eight in one transaction. Just type medtrfull into the checkout before making payment.
- CIOL membership discount: 10% (the code is available on the membership page)
Pablo is a Spanish medical translator with almost 30 years of translating experience, both in-site (McGraw-Hill) and as freelance (most of the time). He received his medical degree in 1987, and since then he has worked for the most important translation agencies in Spain and abroad, and for most of major pharmaceutical companies and CROs. He is an external translator for the WHO in Geneva, Switzerland. He is one the major authorities in the translation of clinical trial protocols EN>ES, about which he has published a highly-demanded handbook. He has presented at many workshops, courses and conferences both in English and in Spanish, online and in several countries.
1 hour 6 min
Who should watch it?
Practising medical translators and translators wishing to enter the field.
What are the benefits to you?
This is a series of webinars especially designed for translators. No other series on medicine for the layperson will give you the translator’s insight into this field.